Healthy crockpot Mexican stuffed peppers
Nothing says cooler temperatures to me like cozy sweaters, pumpkin spice everything and busting out my CROCKPOT for some yummy, easy to make recipes. One of my favorite recipes my mother would make growing up was stuffed peppers, and she always made them in the crockpot.
This weekend I decided to get a little creative in the kitchen to put a little spin on my mom’s classic stuffed pepper recipe. I LOVE Mexican food and making my recipes healthy so I created this yummy, easy to make dish you can cook right in your crockpot or slow cooker. I love coming home from work and having dinner already made so that I can just focus on spending time with my family! I get everything ready for this stuffed pepper recipe the night before and place in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, I just turn on low before we leave the house. I use Emeril’s slow cooker which I love because it automatically switches to warm when its done so dinner is never overcooked and is still hot when you are ready to eat!
These healthy Mexican stuffed peppers are loaded with lean ground turkey, quinoa and other yummy ingredients to make for an easy go to week night meal! I love replacing pasta/rice with quinoa because it has so many health benefits with my most favorite being it’s packed with protein. It’s easy to prepare and just 1 cup of quinoa has 8 grams of protein!
I actually cook the quinoa and turkey meat ahead of time to make for an easier morning for me!
I like to leave my peppers whole and just clean out the inside so I can stuff them easily. This way they also sit better in the crockpot! These Mexican stuffed peppers are so satisfying and loaded with flavor. Cooking them in the crockpot makes them so tender for the perfect healthy weekday meal!
Healthy Crockpot Mexican Stuffed Peppers
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 5-6 bell peppers whole and seeded: any colors you like!
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1/2 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp cilantro
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- Optional: Enchilada sauce
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet and saute ground turkey until it’s full cooked: about 5-6 minutes
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes
- Slowly add the chicken broth, tomatoes, black beans, corn, paprika, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 3 minutes until it thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat and place into a big mixing bowl as you stir in the cooked quinoa, cilantro and lime juice.
- Place your seeded peppers in your crockpot and stuff them with the mixture
- If you are preparing the night before: cover with aluminum foil and place in the fridge overnight.
- When you are ready to cook: Turn your crockpot on low and cook for 4 hours.
- Right before you are ready to serve top with Mexican shredded cheese and let it melt on the peppers
- Optional: for a nice extra flavor I also serve with enchilada sauce. If I am keeping the recipe on the lighter side I will omit the sauce. If I want more of an extra treat I will drizzle enchilada sauce over the peppers and then top with cheese right before I am ready to serve! So yummy!
If you are looking for a delicious and nutritious fall dessert you can check out my pumpkin bar recipe or healthy blondie brownies!
Follow me on social media for more shenanigans, workouts, fitness tips, recipes and more!
Sign up for my email to receive your copy of my free total body toning workout and stay up to date on all of my latest posts, tips and freebies!
Your friend and workout buddy,
Dr. Allie Flowers