14 postpartum must have products for new moms
Oh the postpartum period, it’s just so much fun isn’t it? Can you sense my sarcasm here? I wasn’t sure what to expect postpartum as a first time mom, because no one really talks about this stuff. I don’t think anyone can be truly prepared for what happens after your go into labor but I think it’s helpful to have some sort of idea on how to help yourself after!
Today I’m sharing a list of my favorite post partum must haves that I could not imagine doing without! As a new mom, I think I read every book anyone would recommend about what to expect after the baby arrives. I wish I would have taken a little more time to research how to take care of myself postpartum. Labor is no simple feat but I honestly can say recovering from childbirth was not as terrible as I imagined. If only there was a way to get more sleep! I’ve put together a list of products that truly helped make the postpartum recovery a little easier for me. Next time around I will make sure I have everything ready ahead of time!
This post may contain affiliate links, all opinions are my very own and I only promote products that I absolutely love!
Must have products to help you on your postpartum journey
- Belly Bandit compression garmit. The Belly Bandit is probably my most favorite postpartum product I have and that’s why I wanted to talk about it first! Not only do I feel as though it helped to shrink my belly down in those first few weeks after delivery, but it also gave me some relief from the mild discomfort I was feeling in my lower abdomen and pelvis. I wore this as soon as I got home from the hospital, but now looking back I would have brought it to the hospital with me! Simply amazing!
- Witch hazel pads. These little pads were a life saver for me postpartum. I picked some up prior to going into the hospital on a recommendation from friends with children and I used them for the first 3 weeks postpartum. These pads really helped with the discomfort I was feeling after delivery. I used them each time I went to the bathroom and sometimes left them on my pad for extra relief.
- Pads with ice packs. The hospital provided some ice packs that were built into pads for me to wear and take home. Ask for extra! The nurses let me take extra home with me. These truly helped decrease soreness that first week postpartum!
- Nursing tanks. I lived in nursing tanks for the first 3 months postpartum, and to be honest I still wear them because they are just so comfortable and convenient! As you can tell, I love belly bandit. I’m honestly just a huge fan of their products because they are amazing and they work. I am not paid extra to promote their products or anything like that! I just love to talk about products that I love and that can help another momma out! This is my favorite nursing tank ! It is super comfortable and provides some compression around the midsection, so I loved wearing this under clothes during the day! I feel like it helped smooth out my tummy too, a win/win in my book!
- Lansinoh Therapearl 3-in-1 hot or cold breast therapy. Oh how sore my breasts and nipples were those first few weeks of nursing. These pads are great because you can place them in the microwave to heat prior to nursing or pumping and you can place in the freezer to ease soreness afterwards. Using heat made pumping more effective and comfortable for me as well.
- Earth Mama: New Mama Bottom Spray. Let’s face it, things are a little uncomfortable “down there” postpartum. I used this spray each time I went to the bathroom for the first few weeks after giving birth and it gave me some much needed relief!
- Lanolin nipple cream. This cream is the best; it really helped to decrease the discomfort I was feeling from nursing around the clock. It is also safe for your baby so you don’t have to worry about wiping it off between feedings, because no one has time for that!
- Bamboo nursing pads. These pads are comfortable and slip right into your bra. The best part is that they are machine washable.
- Squeeze bottle. I used a basic squirt bottle in the hospital and took it home with me afterwards. So simple, yet so effective. Each time I went to the bathroom I would use warm water to gently clean versus using harsh toilet paper.
- Leggings! Leggings are a new mom’s best friend! I lived in my favorite maternity leggings for the last 3 months of my pregnancy and for the first few months post partum. I am all about being comfortable yet stylish and these Mother Tucker Leggings are just the best! They gave me the support and compression I needed post delivery and helped to smooth my tummy. They are just amazing and I even worked out in them too because I loved the support they gave me! Let’s just say I own a few pairs!
11. Nursing bra. I truly believe a good quality nursing bra is something I could not have done without on my postpartum journey. I have tried a variety of nursing bras and my absolute favorite is the Bandita by Belly Bandit. I loved this bra because it gave me just enough support without the uncomfortable underwire that dug into me all day. It’s super cute and I could wear it during the day, to exercise and even to bed! I think I ended up ordering 2 or 3 because I lived in them. So worth it! The picture below is me two weeks postpartum!
12. Ibuprofen. My doctor recommended taking Ibuprofen every 4-6 hours for the first few days after delivery. I was definitely feeling some discomfort and I found Ibuprofen did really help to ease my symptoms postpartum.
13. Stool softener. I’m not going to lie, I was scared of what to expect going to the bathroom for the first time after delivery. Truth is, it wasn’t as bad as I thought. I do think this has to do with receiving stool softeners in the hospital. I had bought some ahead of time just in case and I used them for about a week postpartum and had no trouble in that department.
14. Comfortable panties in little bit of a bigger size. No one likes to go out and buy clothes in bigger sizes however I was really glad I did this when I was pregnant. For one, yes my hips and my butt got bigger, but also because the last thing I wanted to put on after giving birth was a tiny little thong. I went out and bought some cheap comfortable underwear and boy shorts that I could wear postpartum, and I’m so happy I did!
So this is my list of postpartum must haves I could not have done without!
I hope you find this list useful and it helps you on your postpartum journey! Recovering from childbirth is not easy and just remember you are awesome momma!
You can also check out my post on must have products to help you survive the newborn phase or 4th trimester here for some helpful tips!
Do you have a favorite postpartum product you could not have done without? I would love to hear your thoughts! Please feel free to comment!
Follow me on social media for all of my latest fitness tips, tricks, workouts and more!
As always, email any questions or concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org, I love hearing from all of you!
Dr. Allie Flowers, PT, DPT, RYT
Join my newsletter!
Sign up to receive the latest free workouts, fitness advice, recipes, motivation and more!