Lose your love handles 15 minute home workout!
Love is in the air as Valentines day is fast approaching! Speaking of love, I decided to put together a workout to target those not so lovely love handles. I get asked quite often about exercises to target this area because let’s face it, it certainly is a stubborn one. While you can’t necessarily “spot reduce” fat, you can lose those love handles by adding in more cardio exercise, following a healthy diet and toning it up with some strengthening moves!
I’ve tested out so many moves over the years and I’ve found these to be the most effective in really targeting those stubborn love handles and midsection. So look no further for some moves that will help you tone it up while having a little fun too! This 15 minute workout will target those love handles combining strengthening moves with yoga to elongate and tone up those abs. No gym required! Of course, I’m all about a stronger core to build strength and help with lower back pain. It’s a great time to get started too as I always say summer bodies are made in the winter!
Perform this routine 3x a week for best results! Get ready to kiss those love handles goodbye!
Bye Bye Love Handles home workout
- Triangle Pose with kettle bell dip
- To perform: Stand with your feet hip width apart right foot facing forward and left foot turned out to about 90 degrees. Extend your left arm up overhead with a kettle bell or weight in hand as shown ( I like to use 10-15 lbs). Keeping your abs engaged and legs straight, slowly lean to the right as your bring your right hand down your leg. You will feel a stretch in the back of your right leg ( hamstring) and your left side as your abs work to control the movement. Slowly bring yourself back to start. That’s one rep. Perform 2 sets of 15 reps and then repeat on the other side!
- Warrior 3 with a standing crunch
- To perform: Begin standing at the top of your mat, feet hip width apart as shown. Gently hinge forward from your hips keeping your back straight as your left leg extends behind you. Lean forward from the waist keeping your abs engaged until a stretch is felt in the right hamstring ( back of your leg). Slowly return to standing as you bring your left leg forward as if you are marching as shown, squeezing your abs. Return to start and perform 15 reps. Repeat this sequence on the opposite side.
- Standing oblique crunch with a stretch
- To perform: Stand with your feet hip width apart, right arm extended overhead and right leg slightly out to the side as shown below. Engage your abs as you bring your right elbow to meet your right knee as shown ( squeezing your abs): performing a standing oblique crunch. Return to standing and repeat on the opposite side, moving slowly. Perform 15 reps on each side for a total of 30 reps.
- Downward facing dog split into plank oblique crunch
- To perform: Begin in downward facing dog split as shown here. Keep your hips lifted as squeeze your thighs and press back through your heels. Spread your shoulder blades as you press your shoulders down away from your ears. Inhale as you raise your left leg up behind you into downward dog split as you engage your abs, keeping your weight evenly though both shoulders. Exhale into plank position as you bend your left knee bringing it towards the outside of your left elbow, squeezing your abs. Return to downward dog split and repeat for 10 full reps. Repeat for 10 reps on the opposite side.
- Side plank with hip dip
- To perform: Begin in a side plank position as shown. Keep your elbow underneath shoulder, your shoulders down away from your ears, abs engaged and back nice and straight. Inhale as you lower your hips to the floor, exhale and return to start. Perform 3 sets of 10 reps on each side!
- Sidelying hip abduction
- To perform: Begin in a sidelying position with yours abs engaged and back straight. Lift your right leg directly up towards the ceiling keeping your foot flexed to target your outer hip muscles. Slowly lower back to start position. Perform 3 sets of 10-12 reps on each side.
- Plank with hip extension
- To perform: Begin in a full plank position with your wrists underneath your shoulders, abs engaged and back nice and straight. Lift one leg up in the air behind you as your squeeze your glutes. Lower back to start. Repeat on the opposite side for one full Rep. Repeat this for 3 sets of 10 full reps
- Toe touch with a twist
- To perform: Begin on your back with your hips at a 90 degree angle and knees extended as shown here. Curl your shoulder blades up off the floor as your perform a crunch reaching your right hand to the outside of your left foot. Squeeze your abs at the top of the movement and hold for 3-5 seconds. Repeat on the opposite side for one full rep. Repeat 30x total!
- Tabletop with side reach
- To perform: Begin on your back with hip and knees bent at a 90 degree angle, feet flat on the floor as shown. Curl your shoulder blades off the floor so you are in a crunch position. Lean to the right as you reach for the outside of your right toes and then repeat on the left side as shown for one full rep. Repeat for 30x total!
- Lie on your stomach with your arms extended out in front of you as shown. Keeping your abs engaged and back straight lift opposite arm and leg up towards the ceiling. Squeeze your glutes at the top of the movement and slowly lower down back to start. Repeat on the opposite side for one full rep. Repeat 30x total!
So there you have it! These are some of my favorite moves for toning up my midsection and building a stronger core!
Get ready to see some great results with this lose your love handles workout!
For more workouts like this you can check out some of my favorite Ab routines!
Check out my total body toning 30 minute home workout with free printable here!
Email any questions to aflowers @lifeofafitmomma.com
Follow me on social media for my latest fitness tips, workouts, advice and more!
Dr. Allie Flowers, PT, DPT, RYT