7 moves to a better butt that don’t involve squats!
Let me start by saying that YES I love squats and I incorporate them into my workouts on a weekly basis. However, I realize that some of you may not able to do squats: perhaps you have knee trouble or are just looking for some different moves to put into your routine! Leg day is my favorite day in the gym and I like to focus on moves that target my butt. Because who doesn’t want a better butt and perkier backside right? Also, stronger glutes means less back pain and to me that’s a win-win! The stronger your glute (butt) muscles are the less pressure there is on your lumbar spine ( lower back) and this in turn can help to reduce back pain! So here are some butt toning moves that you can use in your workout routine to help you strengthen those glutes, perk up your backside and work that booty!
I’ve been getting a ton of requests for gym workouts, so this routine is designed to be performed in the gym!
Get ready to work your butt!
Perform each exercise for 3 sets of 12-15 reps. Choose a weight that is challenging to perform, however you are able to maintain proper form. The last few reps should be difficult. Rest for 1 min between exercise sets.
- Smith machine glute press. I love using the smith machine to work my booty in the gym. I like to get creative with my exercise routine to keep from betting bored. To perform this exercise, bring the bar on the smith machine to the lowest setting and make sure it’s unlocked. You can start with just the weight of the bar to get a proper feel for the exercise and then add weight. Begin on hands and knees, and drop down to your forearms ( as shown below). Place your right foot under the bar and engage your abs as you press your leg up towards the ceiling, squeezing your glutes at the top of the motion. Slowly lower back down and repeat for 12-15 reps; repeat on the left side.
- Weighted glute bridge. This exercise is a must do for a better butt! To perform this exercise, choose a barbell that is heavy however allows you to maintain proper form and find a workout bench. To perform: begin in a bridge position as shown below: shoulder blades resting on the beach, knees and hips at a 90 degree angle as your hips are lifted, spine nice and straight and barbell across your upper thighs. Inhale as you lower your hips to the floor ( keeping your abs engaged); exhale as your press your hips up towards the ceiling returning to start position as your focus on squeezing your butt at the top of the movement!
- Kettle bell deadlift. Everyone knows deadlifts are a great way to tone your legs and work your butt! I like to incorporate different variations of the deadlift to work my glutes, one of my favorites being the kettle bell deadlift. Stand with your feet hip width apart, kettle bell in both hands as shown below. . Engage your abs as you lower your hips and bend your knees into a deadlift as shown as your bring the kettle bell to the floor. Squeeze your glutes as you return to start position. Note that this exercise is different than the squat as your hips will not drop below your knees. You should really feel this exercise in the glutes and it works great to target that booty!
- Straight leg dead lift. Straight leg dead lifts work to perk up your butt by targeting the glutes and the hamstrings. To perform: stand with your feet hip width apart, barbell in hands as shown. Engaging your abs and keeping your back flat lower the barbell down the front of your legs ( keeping it as close to your shins as possible) until a good stretch is felt in the hamstrings ( back of your legs). Keep just a slight bend in your knees to avoid pressure on the lower back. Using your glutes and hamstrings, bring yourself back to starting position and squeeze your butt at the top of the movement.
- Hip extensions over physioball. This is always a fun exercise to target your butt and you don’t need a weight for this one. Lay on your stomach over a physioball; keeping your abs engaged lift your legs up towards the ceiling as your squeeze your glutes at the top of the movement as shown. Slowly return to start position. That’s one rep. Bonus points for not losing your balance!
- Back hyperextensions. This exercise is great for working your butt and your back! To perform, grab a weight and hold it in front of you at chest height. Position yourself on the back extension machine and bend forward at the waist ( as shown): this is your start position. Engage your abs as you extend your spine and bring yourself upright, squeezing your butt at the top of the movement as shown. Return to start position; that’s one full rep!
- Cable hip extension and abduction combo. This exercise combo works great for toning up your butt and also works your abs too! Stand facing the cable machine: hook the strap around your ankle with the setting at the lowest notch as shown. Keeping your abs engaged and back straight, extend your left leg behind you as you squeeze your glutes and then lower back to start position as shown here. Repeat for 12-15 reps. Then turn sideways and kick your leg out to the side as shown. Make sure you keep your abs engaged, back nice and straight and toes facing forward. Repeat for 12-15 reps. Repeat both exercises on your right side.
Incorporate these butt toning moves into your weekly routine and get ready to see some serious booty gains and tone up those legs!
Sign up to receive my free 30 minute total body toning home workout and keep up to date with all of my latest workouts, fitness tips, yoga practice, recipes and more!
Follow me on social media for my latest shenanigans!
Email any questions about this workout to email@example.com
Your friend and workout buddy,
Dr. Allie Flowers
Ahhh! You are making me want to get back to the gym so badly! I did most of this with a trainer for a solid month recently and felt amazing then stopped when the hurricane hit. Thanks for the inspiration to stay healthy!
I totally understand, we were impacted by hurricane Irma and it set me back a little bit! Never too late to get back on track!
Thanks for checking out this workout! Hope you love it!
Great set of workouts! I need to try some of these!
Thank you! I hope you do and feel free to email me or message me with any questions!
Ah, I don’t have a gym membership right now but I do lots of squats, lunges and yoga at home in a rather futile attempt to beef up my skinny arse!
Thanks for checking it out! You can modify and do some of the moves without weight as well. Here is also a link to a my total body toning home workout that targets the entire body in 30 minutes! Total body toning home workout in 30 minutes or less!
Thanks for the tips-I’ll be needing these this winter!
You’re welcome! Hope you enjoy!
I nominated your blog for a Liebster Award. Keep up the great work!
Why thank you so much! I really appreciate it!!!
Wow! These exercises look intense, but I’m definitely trying these! I’m currently working on my lower body and would love to incorporate other moves besides squats.
Thanks so much for trying it out! You will see great results if you stick with it I promise!!!!
My booty needs these! I’ll have to add them to my routine.
Great! thank you!!
Great tips! Bummer that these are all at the gym. What is your favorite do-at-home quick and effective workout that I can squeeze in during a 22-minute episode of Blue’s Clues? 🙂
Hey Darlene! I love at home workouts too! You can check out my favorite total body toning home workout! It’s designed to work the entire body in 30 minutes or less!! Total body toning home workout
Anything that helps me not have to do squats sounds good to me. I love the way squats make me gain definition in my legs, but I get tired of doing them. I’ll have to try some of these out!
I actually do love squats too and I do them every week! I also love to try new moves and these work so great for toning your legs and working the booty!! It’s fun to change it up!! Thank for checking it out! Enjoy!
This is great! I’m currently writing some work outs for myself and I’ll be sure to use these!
thanks so much for checking it out!!!
These look like great exercies. Thank you! I’m sooo over squats! Lol
You’re welcome and thanks for checking out the workout!!!
YESSSSSS! I hate squats and my butt is in serious need of some work. Thank you! I am going to try some of these out really soon!
-Mama from Mama Writes Reviews
Awesome! Thanks for checking it out, I promise you’ll love the results if you stick with it!
I need to start exercising again. I just can’t till I get checked out by my Orthopedist because I injured my shoulder 🙁 Hopefully soon
Hopefully you are cleared soon and enjoy the workout!
I so need to do these because squats are not my thing and this baby weight has got my bum looking sad lol. great tips.
These exercises really helped me after I had my baby!
Love all these options other than squats. I have a bad knee and they hurt. Looks like these would be good for strengthening the quads and glutes which is great for my knees too!
Yes absolutely good for your knees! Strengthening your quads, glutes and hamstrings will take pressure of your knee joints!
You make it look so easy! I have my work cut out for me after I have this baby. I’m glad you included exercises that don’t involve squats because those usually hurt my lower back.
Trust me it is not easy at all!! I do really enjoy working out and challenging myself; it’s a passion of mine! I love to help others do the same!!
Wow, that looks great! I have to be careful of my knees, but I’m not quite here, yet!
Thanks for checking it out!
I don’t currently work out, but I want to get a gym membership and start now! I’ve always hated squats so this will help!
awesome! hope you like the workout!